• What are sleep lines?
A lesser-known brother of the more common frown lines, sleep lines are those annoying little lines that make an appearance on your face if you have been pressing your face against your pillow all night. Over time, these sleep lines can end up marking your face permanently especially on your cheek, under your eyes and on your forehead. Now that you know what are sleep lines, let’s learn what causes sleep marks.
Keep reading to know how to prevent frown lines!
Summary: Sleep lines appear on your face when you keep on pressing your face against your pillow all night.
• What causes sleep lines?
When you age, your skin starts losing the elasticity and volume of young and plump skin. Your dermis (middle layer of the skin, the other two are the epidermis and hypodermis) breaks more easily and your skin takes longer to snap back to its original state. It is because the body produces less collagen, which helps prevent wrinkles, sagging and moisture loss. As a result, your skin loses its ability to repair itself and becomes thin. This is where the sleep lines come into the context.
When your face is pressed against a pillow, the weight of your head makes your skin form little folds against the pillow. Night after night, when this incident keeps on occurring, these sleep lines become prominent and before you know it, you have made sleep marks on your face. When your skin is young and supple, the folds go away when you wake up, but with age, the collagen and elastin level drops (which provides elasticity to the skin) and the wrinkles come to stay for good.
Summary: As you grow old, the middle layer of the skin- dermis start to break easily due to less collagen production and makes your skin thin. As a result, night after night when you press your face against pillow while you sleep, sleep lines and sleep marks occur.
At this stage, you might wonder how long does it take for sleep lines to go away? Sleep lines usually go away when you wake up in the morning within a few hours. However, with advancing age and nightly repletion, these sleep lines take longer than usual to disappear until they become permanent on your face. Now that you know what causes sleep marks and how long does it take for sleep lines to go away, let’s learn the ways to prevent them.
• How to prevent sleep lines?
Sleep marks on the face can be frustrating and if you already are plagued by this ageing skin concern, here is how you can prevent sleep lines or sleep marks and treat the existing ones to minimize their appearance –
- Sleep on your back Since sleep lines are caused by the weight of your head against the pillow, the best way to prevent them is to sleep on your back. By sleeping on your back, you are protecting your face from getting squished on the pillow and this, in turn, will stop the little folds on your skin from marking your face. If you have been sleeping on your stomach or your side your entire life, this might not come easily to you but train your body to sleep on your back if you want to wake up with wrinkle-free skin.
- Use a silk or satin pillowcase While you are slowly working your way up towards sleeping on your back, bring changes to your choice of pillowcase. Switch your cotton pillowcase with a silk or satin one. The soft fabric is good for the skin as your skin glides off the surface and does not press and scrunch up against it. Cotton pillowcases might be more comfortable than silk or satin one but they tend to grip your skin. Using a smoother and softer pillowcase will reduce the chances of you waking up with sleep lines and sleep marks.
- Massage your face in the morning Massaging your face in the morning is one of the effective ways to treat sleep lines. As soon as you wake up, gently massage your face in an upward direction while paying special attention to the wrinkled and creased areas of your face. Massaging your face will increase the flow and circulation of blood and oxygen to those areas and will help fill in the sleep wrinkles until they slowly start to fade away. You can also use a cold press, a cube of ice, or cold green tea bags to the wrinkles to de-puff the skin and minimize the appearance of wrinkles. Green tea is rich in anti-oxidants, which work efficiently on your sleep lines and diminishes them. And that’s how you prevent sleep lines!
Apart from these, you need to follow a thorough anti-ageing skincare routine to keep sleep lines and other ageing skin concerns at bay.
- Wash with cleanser
- Moisturize with day cream
- Protect your skin with night cream
- Hydrate skin with face serum
- Take care of your eyes
A cleanser helps to remove dirt, dust, and impurities piled under the skin and lets other skincare products penetrate into the skin. Go for a Hyaluronic acid-infused cleanser that helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines as the ingredient plumps and hydrates skin, which makes fine lines less visible.
We recommend you use the L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Gel Cleanser that remove impurities and plumps up skin with hydration and brings out youthful radiance.
A day cream tackles skin dryness, repairs skin, keeps skin smooth, reduces signs of ageing, provides hydration and prepares your skin to fight against pollution throughout the day.
We recommend you to use the L'Oréal Paris Revitalift Moisturizing Day Cream SPF 35 PA++ which protects your skin from the sun and helps your skin regain firmness, reduce wrinkles, and dark spots, and improve skin texture.
Since your skin repairs itself overnight, night-time skincare ingredients are formulated with active ingredients that boost the skin regeneration process and give your skin a helping hand to repair itself while you get your beauty sleep. Include a night cream in your skincare routine and fight signs of ageing.
We recommend you to use the L'Oréal Paris Revitalift Moisturizing Night Cream which is infused with anti-ageing elements and helps accelerate skin generation process, boost skin firmness, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and give you a radiant youthful skin.
Face serum enhances skin texture, minimizes pores, hydrates and nourishes skin and help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
We recommend you to use the L'Oréal Paris Revitalift 1.5 % Hyaluronic Acid Serum. It is a lightweight and non-sticky serum, that helps get instant visible results and see your skin getting better day after day! This hyaluronic acid serum penetrates deep into the skin and instantly hydrates your skin! With regular use, it increases your radiance by up to 42%!
Eye cream effectively prevents signs of ageing, reduces dark circles, eye puffiness, and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and delivers moisture to the skin around the eyes.
We recommend you to use the L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Moisturizing Eye Cream to improve the skin’s texture and reduce sleep wrinkles and fine under-eye lines. Enriched with Centella Asiatica and Protinol A, this eye cream improves skin density, moisturizes your skin around the eyes, and reverses the signs of ageing.
Stop worrying about sleep lines and prevent sleep marks on your skin by following these effective tips and a thorough skincare routine. Flaunt healthy, youthful, radiant and wrinkle-free skin even as you age!
Not confident enough to prepare your skincare routine? Rely on the L’Oréal Paris Skin Genius tool. This tool analyses eight key skin attributes- wrinkles, radiance, firmness, pigmentation, pore quality, eye wrinkles, deep wrinkles, fine lines you can analyse your skin and help you examine your skin like a pro and thereafter create a personalised skincare routine without spending a penny from the comfort of your home.
Discover Trends and Tips
Keep Your Skin Happy